Our small BIG car! - Blogathon - Post 7

8th August 2013

Everyone has a memory of their firsts – The first house, the first job, the first boy/girl friend, the first kiss and so on. While travelling to Ooty, I saw a black Ambassador car passing by and it all started coming back to me.

My first car….

Rather my family’s first car.

It was way back when I was around 12…say 1993. I came to know that we have been delivered with our first family car. When I came back from school, I saw it parked near my home. It was a shiny, humungous black colour Ambassador. It did not matter that it was a second hand car. But what mattered was that we had a car, our first family car. It was not a car for mom, dad and me. It was the whole family’s car. It was meant for my grandmom, dad, mom, uncle, aunt and me. Yup, a joint family’s car…that’s big!

It took us everywhere. All those places where we earlier used to go by taxi, auto or a 2 wheeler. It was fun. 7 people inside an Ambi. When we all started to get inside the car, it never got over. When we sat, we used to keep adjusting our bums and hands and legs. When we got out of the car, it never got over. Today, when I think about it, I get sick with laughter.

Nobody really missed the Ambi when we sold it to buy a new car. A lot more cars came along in the many years that passed by. But when I think about my FIRST CAR…I cannot not think about the giant Ambassador car. Even today when I get to see a black Ambi, which is the rarest of the rare treat, it takes me down the lane. Happy ol’ days….

Labels: ,