Go girl go! - Blogathon - Post 19

19th August 2013

The thing with having 2 kids is that you undergo a series of situations and then you live your life for a while and then again you undergo the same set of situations. And because you know what to expect, the wait seems longer.

I remember when N was born, I used to keep thinking, "Oh, now this is left. So that's another 3 months. Oh, that too is yet to come. So that is another 6 months."

When she turned 1, on her birthday everyone said, "Oh she is 1 now!" And I said, "Well, she is just 1 now. She is yet to start talking properly, pee on her own, poop on time, eat on her own, tell me what she wants, go to playschool, sleep by herself..." The guests started laughing. Well, I was serious.

The thing is as much as I am a mother and love my kids more than anything, I love my independence. If I love spending time with my children, I love spending time with my girl-friends a little more. While I do enjoy a game of snakes and ladders with my kids, I enjoy more when I go for a movie with M. I could go on with my kids' school project for 2 hours straight, but after that I would not like to see any of that for the next 3 hours.

So the thing is, I like it when kids grow up independent, start doing things on their own. I don't like to mother them 24*7. While I am at it, I have seen women who love that, they can literally be with their kids the whole time. I am in awe of them. I cannot do that. No qualms...just acceptance.

One of the things that I had ear-marked while A was growing was that things look bright when he started going for birthday parties by himself. You see, I am not much of a kiddie party lover. They are just not for me. I would rather sit and read a book, or go for a walk.

But when you become a mother, you are really not the master of choices. So, whenever there would be a birthday invitation, I would have to tag along. And I wished, really wished that A would start going for parties by himself. And then one day it happened, and I felt liberated.


Then N came along. I waited for the day when she would also start going for birthdays alone. I hoped it to happen earlier, because A and N have pretty much the same set of friends.

The day finally arrived yesterday. It was N's friend's birthday and both my kids got the invitation. I thought she is turning 3 next Saturday, so why not?

So, brother-sister duo held hands and went for the party by themselves. I dropped them at the venue. A was holding the gift and about few steps down the road, A turned back, handed the gift to N and said, "Here, you hold it. It is your friend's birthday na, you give it to her, okay?" (In the most big bro tone)

I waited anxiously till they returned home after about 2 hours. When I asked how it went. A's response was, "Amma, this girl na...she behaved so well. She ate properly and did not fight or cry. She has become a big girl."

Yes, indeed. She too has started going for birthday parties by herself. It is a start to becoming a BIG GIRL. :)

To that N said, "This mine. Balloon mine. Gift mine. Cake mine. Chocolate mine. All is mine!"

Hmmm...well. I might have spoken a little too soon. But I don't care. She goes for birthday parties alone. Yayyy!







Labels: ,