2012 Highlights: F.R.I.E.N.D.S (Post 1)

HIGHLIGHTS - 2012: POST 1

2012 has been remarkable in many ways for me. And it would be unfair if I don't mention it on my blog. In the Highlights 2012 series, I will be writing about the biggies :)

2012 has been the year of friendships. I took a big leap of kindling new friendships and nurtured it like there was no tomorrow. And I can happily say that I gorged on the sweet results too. Sonny had his share too. Take a look:


The above note was written by Anirudh's class-buddy and best friend. Actually they are a
 set of 3 boys, and apparently the class teacher has to change their seats regularly because they end up chatting from wherever they are!

And then there was this:


The picture was taken on a holiday trip to Mysore, which we took in December 2012 with my best friend's family. The looks on their faces are evident of the amount of fun these bachchaas had!

And then there was me. The book Eat, Pray, Love very aptly speaks about the possibility of soul mates being a lot more than just spouses. I cannot help agreeing more. While my husband remains my best friend and first soul mate, 2012 gave me one more best friend and soul mate. (Yeah, I do believe that there can be more than 1 'best' friend...I am challenging English grammar now.) The above pic has 2 of her kids.

This post, in no way, undermines the fact that I have identified a few more friends who mean to me as much as my family. And the year 2013 is going to be a lot about them.

Like the saying goes, You cannot choose your family, but friends are the family you can choose. So, choose...I did. Choose the right people. The people who flatter you, who criticize you, who love you and hate you for the right reasons, who you can call at 2 am and bitch, who you can sms under the blanket just before going to sleep. And don't forget to add a prayer for them and their family every day. Most importantly, thank your stars every single day for sending a friend like the ones you cherish in your life.

I leave you with one of my favourite quotes from EAT, PRAY, LOVE:

“People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. 

A true soul mate is probably the most important person you'll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever? Nah. Too painful. Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then leave. 

A soul mates purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master...” 

Labels: ,